- eliminate your right to a trial by jury; and
- substantially affect your rights, including preventing you from bringing, joining or participating in class or consolidated proceedings.
Changes To Terms
About Starbucks Rewards
Exclusions to Earning Stars; Participating Stores Only
Redeeming Stars for Rewards
Star Redemption may vary; Participating stores only
Exclusions to Star Redemption
Starbucks Rewards is one way in which Starbucks endeavors to reward and thank loyal customers for patronizing our business and purchasing Starbucks products. Starbucks Rewards members are able to earn and accumulate "Stars" that can be redeemed for Starbucks Rewards benefits ("Rewards") at participating Starbucks stores. Unfortunately, not all Starbucks stores have the ability to award Stars or redeem Stars for Rewards at this time. To find the location nearest you that participates in Starbucks Rewards, visit the Starbucks Store Locator at https://www.starbucks.com/store-locator.
To join Starbucks Rewards, go to www.starbucks.com/rewards or app.starbucks.com (“Websites”), or to the Starbucks mobile app (“App”) and follow the prompts to create an account. You will be required to provide the following information:
- First and last name, email address and password.
- Birthday (month, day) is optional to receive birthday offers. If you do not provide birthday information you will not receive your Birthday Reward.
The Rewards that are available to you through Starbucks Rewards are based on the number of Stars that you earn. You can earn Stars by making purchases at participating Starbucks stores in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom and Ireland in the following ways:
- Paying for your purchase with a Starbucks Card. When you pay with your digital Starbucks Card in the App, you will earn 2 (two) Stars for every $1 (one) U.S. Dollar you spend at participating stores. You will also earn 2 Stars for every $1 (one) U.S. Dollar spent when you a) pay in-person at a participating store with your registered physical Starbucks Card or b) scan the barcode in the App, and then use any physical Starbucks Card (regardless of whether it is registered) to complete the purchase. If you are a Starbucks partner (i.e., employee), you will earn 3 (three) Stars for every $1 (one) U.S. Dollar spent using a Starbucks Card so long as you also have your "partner" Starbucks Card registered to your account and scan your barcode in the App or physical “partner” Card prior to your purchase.
- Paying for your purchase with Linked Payment Method. You can link a credit card, debit card or mobile wallet to your account, and use it to pay directly for your order through the App. When you pay directly with a linked payment method, you will earn 1 (one) Star for every $1 (one) U.S. Dollar you spend at participating stores. Starbucks may add or remove available payment methods at any time in its sole discretion. Starbucks partners will earn 2 (two) Stars for every $1 (one) U.S. Dollar spent so long as they also have their "partner" Starbucks Card registered to their Starbucks Rewards account.
- Scanning your member barcode in the App and then paying with cash, credit card, debit card or mobile wallet. You can earn 1 (one) Star for every $1 (one) U.S. Dollar you spend at participating Starbucks stores when you scan your member barcode in the App at the register prior to paying with cash, credit cards, debit cards, or mobile wallets. Starbucks partners will earn 2 (two) Stars for every $1 (one) U.S. Dollar spent so long as they also have their "partner" Starbucks Card registered to their Starbucks Rewards account and scan their barcode prior to purchase.
- Star Codes. You can earn Stars by entering Star codes at www.starbucks.com/rewards. Star codes may, from time to time, be distributed through promotional materials. The number of Stars awarded using Star codes may vary. You can redeem a maximum of two (2) Star codes per day. Certain other limitations may apply to Star codes. For example, Star codes may have expiration dates. Check the promotional materials for specific restrictions applicable to a particular Star code.
- Promotional Bonus Star Offers. From time to time, we, or others acting with our permission, may offer you opportunities to earn additional "Bonus Stars" through special promotions. These promotional Bonus Stars will be awarded as described in the applicable promotional offer and will be subject to any additional terms set forth in such promotional offer.
- Partnership Programs. Eligible customers may earn Stars through participation in programs offered by our business partners. Starbucks does not operate and is not responsible for these programs, which have separate and additional terms and conditions governing how Stars may be earned.
Note that Stars may be earned in fractional amounts depending on the value of your purchase.
If you use more than one payment method in a single transaction, you will earn Stars based on the earn rate associated with each payment. For example, if your beverage is $6 and you pay $3 with your Starbucks Card and $3 with a credit card, you will earn a total of 9 Stars: 6 Stars for the amount paid with your Starbucks Card, and 3 Stars for the amount paid with your credit card. If members split a transaction, each member must scan their member barcode in the App immediately before making their payment in order to earn Stars for their respective purchase amount.
If the address associated with your account is located in the United States, any qualifying purchase you make using a Starbucks Card registered to your account at participating Starbucks stores in Canada, Puerto Rico, the United Kingdom or Ireland will earn Stars as if the currency were expressed in U.S. Dollars. No currency exchange is applied to the value of your purchase for the purpose of determining how many Stars you have earned.
You may not earn Stars in connection with certain types of beta or promotional programs, or on purchases made with a Starbucks Store Credit card (defined below) or other forms of service recovery coupons. Stars may be earned at participating Starbucks stores only, and certain stores only have the ability to award Stars for Starbucks Card transactions (not for cash, credit card, debit card or mobile wallet transactions). In addition, you cannot earn Stars on purchases of alcoholic beverages or on Starbucks Cards (such as activations, reloads, transfers, and other card-to-card transactions). Taxes, tips, donations, and fees, including without limitation, shipping and handling fees, gift wrapping fees, delivery fees, and bag fees, also may be excluded and ineligible for Star accrual.
For information about how Starbucks handles returns, please read our Return Policy. Your Star balance may be impacted by returns as follows:
- If you void a purchase, Starbucks will deduct the Stars that you earned for that purchase, potentially resulting in a negative Star balance on your account.
- If you return merchandise, packaged coffee, food or tea that you purchased with a Starbucks Card (note: an original receipt or gift receipt is required), your funds will be returned to you on a card with store credit (“Starbucks Store Credit card”), but Starbucks will not deduct any Stars from your account. Starbucks Store Credit cards may be used in participating Starbucks stores, but they are not Starbucks Cards. Purchases made with Starbucks Store Credit cards do not accrue Stars and cannot be registered or reloaded for additional value.
- If you return products purchased with a credit card, debit card, mobile wallet or cash (note: an original receipt or gift receipt is required), Starbucks may deduct the Stars earned in connection with your purchase, potentially resulting in a negative Star balance. You may be required to provide the physical credit card, debit card, or mobile wallet in order for Starbucks to process the refund.
Unless otherwise noted, Stars are automatically added to your account within twenty-four (24) hours of your eligible purchase and expire six (6) months after the calendar month in which such Stars were earned. For example, if you earn Stars on December 15, 2020, they will expire on July 1, 2021. The oldest accrued Stars will be used first for redemptions. You can view and track your Star balance and available Rewards, as well as any additional benefits for which you are eligible as a Starbucks Rewards member, on https://app.starbucks.com or by using the App.
Stars earned through the Starbucks® Rewards Visa® Prepaid Card and the Starbucks® Rewards Visa® Card Rewards Program do not expire as long as you are an active prepaid or credit card account holder. If your prepaid or credit card account is closed or expires for any reason, your Stars will expire six (6) months after the calendar month in which that account closed or expired.
Stars may be redeemed for complimentary Starbucks items at participating Starbucks stores in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. Starbucks Rewards offers different Rewards based on different Star redemption tiers. Note that the Rewards available and Star redemption tiers may vary by location and by country, and that Starbucks may adjust the items included in each tier at any time in its sole discretion. The Star redemption tiers for redeeming Stars at participating Starbucks stores in the United States are as follows:
- 25 Stars may be redeemed for one (1) of the following beverage modifiers: an added espresso shot, added syrup or sauce (such as caramel syrup), or a dairy alternative option (such as soy milk, almondmilk, or coconutmilk), valued up to $1 (one) U.S. Dollar. The beverage modifiers in this redemption tier are only available as a customization to your base beverage order and cannot be redeemed as a standalone beverage.
- 50 Stars may be redeemed for one (1) of the following items: hot brewed coffee or hot steeped tea OR a bakery item (such as a cake pop or cookie). Iced brewed coffee, Clover brewed coffee, and Starbucks Reserve coffee are excluded from this redemption tier.
- 150 Stars may be redeemed for one (1) of the following items: any handcrafted beverage (such as a latte or Frappuccino® blended beverage) OR any hot breakfast item (such as a breakfast sandwich or oatmeal) OR any packaged snack item (excluding packaged protein boxes). All beverages must be standard menu-sized items.
- 200 Stars may be redeemed for one (1) packaged salad or lunch sandwich OR one (1) packaged protein box.
- 400 Stars may be redeemed for one (1) packaged coffee item (such as whole bean coffee) OR a select merchandise item with a value up to $20 (twenty) U.S. Dollars (pre-tax). Packaged coffee and merchandise availability may vary by store location.
Stars may be redeemed at participating Starbucks stores and are ineligible to be redeemed for the following items: alcoholic beverages; multi-serve food or beverage items (for example, a tray of Cranberry Bliss® Bars or a Coffee Traveler); and items available at Princi stores and Starbucks Roastery locations.
You cannot redeem multiple Star redemption tiers within a single beverage order. For example, you cannot redeem 50 Stars for a hot brewed coffee and 25 Stars for added syrup within a single beverage order.
If you redeem Stars at a participating Starbucks store outside of the United States, the Star redemption tiers applicable in the country in which such store is located will apply.
As a Starbucks Rewards member, you may be eligible for the following additional benefits.:
- Birthday Reward. On your birthday (as indicated in your Starbucks Rewards account), you will receive one (1) complimentary handcrafted beverage OR one (1) complimentary food item OR one (1) complimentary ready-to-drink bottled beverage ("Birthday Reward"). Your Birthday Reward may be redeemed at participating Starbucks stores only and excludes: multi-serve food or beverage items (for example, a tray of Cranberry Bliss® Bars or a Coffee Traveler); beverages that contain alcohol; merchandise and packaged coffee; and items available at Starbucks Roastery and Princi locations. To qualify for your Birthday Reward, you must join Starbucks Rewards at least seven (7) days prior to your birthday, provide your birthday in your account information, and make at least one Star-earning transaction prior to your birthday each year. Your Birthday Reward will be automatically added to your account on your birthday and is valid only on that date. You must scan the member barcode in the App or present your registered Starbucks Card in order to redeem your Birthday Reward. You can check to see if your Birthday Reward is available by accessing your account on www.starbucks.com/account or in the App.
- Free refill(s) of hot or iced brewed coffee and tea. Starbucks Rewards members may receive free refills of hot or iced brewed coffee or tea during the same store visit at participating Starbucks stores. To be eligible for free refill(s) of hot or iced brewed coffee or tea, you must scan the member barcode in the App prior to purchasing your beverage and again when you request your refill or pay for your beverage using your registered Starbucks Card and scan the same card again when you requesting your hot or iced brewed coffee or tea refill.
- Early or extended access to certain promotions and offers. Starbucks may offer Starbucks Rewards members early or extended access to special menu items or discounts at participating stores. You may take part in these offers by paying with a Starbucks Card registered to your account or scanning the member barcode in the App prior to your purchase.
- Personalized offers and coupons. Special offers may be distributed by email, through the App (including via push notifications), or by physical mail. You may be required to opt-in and activate special offers via the App or via email. In order to receive and activate personalized special offers distributed via email, you must opt-in to receive promotional and marketing offers from Starbucks and you may be required to provide a valid email, telephone and physical address. Special offers may be customized based on your purchase behaviors and preferences, and may include periodic discounts on food, beverages and merchandise, or the opportunity to earn Bonus Stars. Special offers may have certain restrictions, including expiration dates and short, time-limited redemption periods. Special offers are personal to you and cannot be shared, copied or transferred. You may be required to scan your member barcode in the App or present or pay with your registered Starbucks Card in order to redeem special offers. Read each offer carefully for specific details, expiration dates, and limitations and restrictions.
- Double Star Day. Starbucks may offer Double Star Days, where you can earn twice the number of Stars for your purchase. Starbucks will notify you of a designated Double Star Day, which will be personalized and selected by Starbucks for you. You must download the Starbucks app OR opt-in to receive promotional and marketing emails from Starbucks in order to receive notice of a designated Double Star Day. You also may be required to "activate" your Double Star Day by clicking within the notification email or the notification within the App. Starbucks reserves the right to exclude certain products and merchandise from Double Star Day eligibility and to modify the Double Star Day benefit.
- Reusable Cup Benefit. Starbucks may offer the opportunity to earn Bonus Stars when you bring a clean, reusable cup into participating stores and use it instead of a paper to-go cup when ordering a handcrafted beverage in-store (“Reusable Cup Benefit”). The Reusable Cup Benefit may be redeemed a maximum of three (3) times per day and once per order. For example, if you bring in two reusable cups and order two handcrafted beverages in a single order, you will receive a maximum of one Bonus Star load. The Reusable Cup Benefit is not available for beverages served in Starbucks-provided “for here” mugs and glassware, or for beverages ordered via Drive Thru or the Starbucks app. To qualify for the Reusable Cup Benefit, members must remain “active” by making at least one (1) Star earning transaction within the prior two (2) years. Starbucks reserve the right to change or suspend the Reusable Cup Benefit in its discretion.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW
There are no participation or membership fees associated with Starbucks Rewards. Stars accrued in connection with Starbucks Rewards are promotional, have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. In addition, your redemption of Stars accrued in connection with Starbucks Rewards cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts, unless otherwise expressly indicated by Starbucks.
Your Stars, Rewards, registered Starbucks Cards, and Starbucks Rewards account are personal to you and may not be sold, transferred or assigned to, or shared with, family, friends or others, or used by you for any commercial purpose. You may have only one (1) Starbucks Rewards account that is personal to you.
Without notice to you, Starbucks also reserves the right to "unregister" and make ineligible for Starbucks Rewards any Starbucks Card or account that has been inactive for two (2) consecutive years. Inactivity is defined as no Stars earned during such two (2) consecutive year period. In the event that your Starbucks Card or account is unregistered or rendered inactive, all accrued Stars in your account are void.
Starbucks reserves the right to change, modify, discontinue or cancel Starbucks Rewards or any part of the Starbucks Rewards program, at any time and in its sole discretion, without notice to you.
Arbitration Procedures. For all disputes, whether pursued in court or arbitration, you must first send a written description of your claim to our Customer Service department using the appropriate link at https://customerservice.starbucks.com/app/contact/ask/ to allow us an opportunity to resolve the dispute. You and we each agree to negotiate your claim in good faith. You may request arbitration if your claim or dispute cannot be resolved within 60 days.
Costs of Arbitration. Upon filing of the arbitration demand, we will pay all filing, administration and arbitrator fees other than the initial $200 filing fee, and for claims of less than $1,000, Starbucks will reimburse you for the filing fee within 30 days of receiving a written request from you. Each party will bear the fees and expense of its own attorneys, experts, witnesses and preparation and presentation of evidence at the arbitration. However, for claims under $10,000 as to which you provided notice and negotiated in good faith as required above before initiating arbitration, if the arbitrator finds you are the prevailing party in the arbitration, you will be entitled to a recovery of reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs. Except for claims determined to be frivolous, we agree not to seek an award of attorneys’ fees in arbitration even if an award is otherwise available under applicable law.
Class Action Waiver and Jury Waiver.You and we each agree that any proceeding, whether in arbitration or in court, will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class, consolidated or representative action. If a court or arbitrator determines in an action between you and us that this class action waiver is unenforceable, the arbitration agreement will be void as to you. If for any reason a claim proceeds in court rather than through arbitration, you and we each waive any right to a jury trial.