Starbucks Reserve® Burundi Ngozi
An aromatic coffee bringing new hope to its homeland.
With its black tea-like aroma and flavors of cinnamon with chocolate accents, this coffee from northern Burundi is heady stuff. While Burundi may not be as famous for its beans as Ethiopia or Kenya, the country is an emerging player in East Africa’s coffee industry – after years of civil war and economic strife, Burundi’s future looks brighter thanks to the promise of high-quality coffees like this one.
This extraordinary cup was delivered to us by Gashikanwa Specialty Coffee, a trading company owned by Marie-Chantal Ncahoruri. This female-owned company is not only changing the composition of East Africa’s male-dominated coffee industry, it is leading a breakthrough in other ways as well. Gashikanwa promotes agricultural best practices to improve the quality of Burundi coffee, which could help improve the lives of the country’s coffee farmers.
Available for a limited time only
- Producer: Gashikanwa Specialty Coffee, Burundi
- Elevation: 5,000 to 5,400 feet
- Variety: Bourbon and Jackson
- Processing Method: Washed
- Tasting Notes: Black tea aroma, cinnamon-chocolate flavors
- Body: Medium
- Acidity: Medium
- Pairing Flavors: Baking spices, chocolate, nuts
- Growing Region: Africa/Arabia