Starbucks Coffee Bags Get a New Look

New Starbucks coffee packaging

Noticed a change in the appearance of our coffee packaging in Starbucks stores? One of the many things we do in Starbucks Global Creative is create the artwork and designs you see on those packages.

We all know how confusing it can be to shop the coffee aisle at the grocery store. Our new coffee packaging makes it easier to find your favorite coffee or discover a new one you might enjoy because our coffees are now categorized by roast – each with its own color mark (yellow, orange and purple). Now you can easily find the roast you like (Blonde, Medium or Dark) and the blend you like within that roast. These new pearlescent white bags are already showing up in our retail stores and will be in grocery aisles everywhere by mid-February where they will proudly stand out on the shelf.

The original coffee bag art lives on in updated icons that not only make it easy to navigate among the other bags, but are direct descendants of some of the original stamp art seen on our bags for many years. Yes, the Sumatra tiger is still a tiger and the smiling sun on Breakfast Blend is still the same. But if you look closely at these coffee icons, you see echoes of the past versions in each of them.

So, take a look. Find your favorites, and maybe explore some new ones. We hope you like them as much as we do.

• travida2002
    • 12/16/2011 1:17 PM

I'm a partner, and I love the new packaging! It reminds me of the simple white packaging from a couple years ago. My only concern is about the decaf signage. The current packages were very clearly decaf because of their color. Why did we decide to do away with the same sort of theme for decaf coffees?

• brianfalexander
    • 12/16/2011 1:20 PM

NICE LOOK!

• Mmsalem
    • 12/18/2011 3:04 PM

Hate it!!!!! The previous bags were unique and had a certain cache - I could always find my coffee - now its a hassle! Rather than throw out the entire scheme why not add a coded color to make it easier to delineate the type of coffee! Interesting that of the three Starbucks I've been to to buy coffee every employee has also registered dislike!

It's reminiscent of when coke decided to change their formula for absolutely no good reason! Please go back to the previous bags!

• whoknew12
    • 12/18/2011 11:39 PM

I love the new bags, they make much more sense and are far more attractive. Kudo's to Starbucks for modernizing but keeping it tasteful!

• Vreeland5
    • 12/19/2011 3:17 AM

Love the look.

George Vreeland Hill

• maridith.lane
    • 12/19/2011 7:19 PM

Dumbing down coffee? Not a fan.

• trewblue
    • 12/20/2011 3:11 PM

Hi- I have been a partner for years starting back to 2000. I have to say that although I like the idea I feel that when I look in my cupboard it'd be very easy to accidentally grab the wrong coffee....at our house all of us like dark roasts and the cupboard is now all purple with very little to distinguish between the dark roasts since the pics down in the corner aren't very big??!! If you were to at least make the pics bigger or more color to just that part to make them easier to tell apart?

• whtkr4
    • 12/22/2011 12:09 PM

Decaf Breakfast Blend please

• michikodesu
    • 12/22/2011 7:34 PM

Seriously folks, it's just a bag. I like them; but then again, I'm buying for the coffee, not the design on the bag. It's a shame that people are still so fearful of change, even in this day and age.

• Snowdengreen
    • 12/26/2011 7:40 PM

I'm not sold on the new packaging. I've also been told that my coffee is being discontinued!! I find the new bags too similar and I now have to find another blend to drink every day! Please reconsider discontinuing Estima! Wah!

• sillysynapse
    • 12/28/2011 9:21 PM

I much prefer the beautiful bags from "days of old," wherein each type of coffee had a distinct design that encompassed the entire bag. This can still be seen in the seasonal blends that are offered which are rather attractive and unique, aesthetically sensationalizing and whetting the appetite. Instead, these plain 95%-white bags with color coded panels resemble the monotonous look of some less palatable competitor beans.

• kakescoffee
      • 1/5/2012 6:11 PM

In reply to: sillysynapse

Well written! I definitely agree with you - I loved the artistic design of each individual old bag. I'm very open to change and love modern art, but sometimes, a classic shouldn't be messed with.

• musicofthenight1@comcast.net
    • 12/31/2011 6:55 AM

Being a Partner over 5 years now I have to say it doesn't matter what the bag looks like. It's what inside that counts! People seem to forget that....

• edwardsmackenzie
    • 1/3/2012 10:55 PM

i'm a starbucks partner, and change is good! But, personally i'm not a huge fan of the new packaging. i've noticed a lot of confusion with the new packaging, with customers and other partners! ESPECIALLY the decaf version of coffees.

• caroldpf
    • 1/7/2012 8:12 AM

The packaging looks fine, however, I haven't seen anything on the packages that says whether it's bold or xbold (unless I'm missing something). I have always mixed xbold's for 1/2 caf and now I'm told by my favorite store that most decaf's will be discontinued...they only had decaf espresso. And no Sumatra at all, not even reg.

They are going to go with lighter blends?? Hope she 's wrong, I would have to find a new source for coffee...

• sgrattan1
    • 1/8/2012 8:04 AM

I love the new look. I have been in sales/marketing for almost 15 years and simple, clean packaging always works best.
    I know there's a significant history and magic around Starbucks coffee, but packaging needs to clearly communicate what the product is... what's in the bag... well that's the magic!!
    Great job Starbucks.

• b1coffee
    • 1/8/2012 5:49 PM

I don't like the new bags. I'm finding the store employees can't even distinguish the decaf from the regular coffee as the bag is so similar. Please rethink it.
    Also miss decaf verona and decaf house blend.

• bananayahoo
    • 1/9/2012 10:05 AM

I hate the new bags! I stood in the aisle for five minutes trying to find my favorite roast. I had a really hard time finding it, making sure it was regular instead of decaf, etc...

• christophermuto
    • 1/9/2012 1:54 PM

Like the old packaging, this design fails to clearly communicate if the contents are ground or whole bean. Of course I can tell the difference when i grab the bag, but I have passed on Starbucks when in big box stores (ie Target) as they can't seem to stock them in the correct place and end up putting the ground and whole bean versions of the same blend in random places. Peet's is a great alternative as there are fewer blends/choice to have to sift through on the shelves.

• trackbar
    • 1/25/2012 4:02 PM

I don't like them at all. I find them to be very confusing. It use to be easy to find my favorite XBold coffees (French roast and Italian roast). Now there's a bunch of purple bags that I have to dig through, there's no indication on which one is Bold and XBold, and I can't find French roast in ground, only whole bean (I find ground to be more convenient). Plus, the new bags are kinda *blah* compared to the classy looking bags that they're replacing.

• spulling1
    • 3/6/2012 9:39 AM

The new bag material is very thin. It rips easily when you first try to open the bag. Also, what happened to the half-caffe???

• judi1470
    • 4/17/2012 9:54 PM

I also hate the new packaging. There are so many bags to look through on the shelves, it almost makes me want to choose another coffee. I normally do not mind change, but I do not see the benefit of this change. My 2 favorite coffees blend in w/ all the other types on the shelf (Morning Joe and Pike Place Roast).
    Love the coffee. Hate the bag design!