Starbucks announces acquisition of Evolution Fresh

Today is an exciting day as we announce the acquisition of Evolution Fresh, Inc. Similar to what Starbucks pioneered 40 years ago for coffee customers, this announcement marks our commitment to evolve and enhance the Customer Experience with innovative and wholesome products in the fast-growing Health and Wellness sector.

Evolution Fresh is one of the only true juiceries left in the industry that still cracks, peels, presses, and squeezes its own raw fruits and vegetables. Then, using an innovative technology new to juice called High Pressure Pasteurization (HPP), Evolution Fresh is able to deliver one of the only “never heated” juice products for an increasingly larger number of its offerings, ensuring fresh tasting, nutritious juices.

We know you trust the Starbucks brand to deliver on superior best-in-category quality and taste. Our intent is to build a national Health and Wellness brand leveraging our scale, resources and premium product expertise. This is an important step forward in this pursuit.

We’d love to hear from you – share your thoughts and be a part of the Health & Wellness conversation.

• scott_nuclear
    • 11/10/2011 10:03 AM

Sounds awesome, cant wait to try

• claudiaalvarez
    • 11/10/2011 10:04 AM

That is pretty cool!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the idea.

• chrisnickjoy
    • 11/10/2011 10:06 AM

Great idea. No heat equals more nutrition left :D

• Lmendel530
    • 11/10/2011 10:07 AM

Please consider having this as GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE! You could offer pastries that are good for people w/food allergies along with raw and vegan treats!

• jenrhw
      • 11/10/2011 10:21 AM

In reply to: Lmendel530

Agreed!!!!!
      For a while they did have a gluten free clementine cake in the Seattle area, but they pulled it. Occasionally I can find packaged cookies that are g/f, d/f but not regularly.

• jsl2423
      • 11/10/2011 10:25 AM

In reply to: Lmendel530

Yes! With there being so many people that eat gluten/dairy free, it would put Starbucks into a whole new market of it's own.

• 100windows
      • 11/10/2011 11:38 AM

In reply to: Lmendel530

There isn't much processing in juice. I think you guys won't have to worry about gluten and dairy for the majority of evolutions drinks.

• bzymom320
        • 11/10/2011 6:06 PM

In reply to: 100windows

Agreed! All fruits are naturally gluten free. But if any kind of flavoring is added or "base" it could have gluten in it. Also, many Celiacs need Casein free. I'd love to see Almond Milk as a possibility for coffee drinks. For fruit juices I worry about cross contamination with fruits. Overall, I think this is a great idea!

• wygirl
      • 11/22/2011 11:14 AM

In reply to: Lmendel530

I agree! GLUTEN, SOY, & DAIRY FREE is what Starbucks needs to offer on the menu. When I visit the store, I have to buy just plain coffee because of my food allergies. It would be nice to have almond or rice milk offered so those of us with food issues can enjoy the same delicious drinks everyone else does.

• taytayrus
    • 11/10/2011 10:07 AM

sounds awesome! can't wait to try.

• ariversd
    • 11/10/2011 10:08 AM

I am about to start Juicing. I hope Starbucks will let people who juice know if they can drink it on a purely juice diet or not... Let hope they do then i will have yet another place to eat!

• tiffbml1
    • 11/10/2011 10:09 AM

Can't wait! Let us know the details!

• mypinkstar@live.com
    • 11/10/2011 10:11 AM

I love the idea! Can't wait to try it!!!

• sexysneh69
    • 11/10/2011 10:12 AM

Will this be organic?

• GlenJordan
    • 11/10/2011 10:16 AM

Mergers and acquisitions tend to result in layoffs. Is this an exception?

• dodger42
    • 11/10/2011 10:16 AM

I don't understand. By definition pasteurization means heating to a desired temperature followed by immediate cooling. Without heating, no pasteurization. Sounds like a play on words to deceive the public

• epicmatt
      • 11/10/2011 10:26 AM

In reply to: dodger42

It's high pressure pasteurization. If I'm correct, it's just like a pressure cooker. By changing the air pressure you lower the tempature at which things are cooked. Therefore it's completely possible for them to make the juice without heating it. They said it isn't "heated", not that it isn't cooked.

• fpurroy
        • 11/22/2011 9:49 AM

In reply to: epicmatt

Actually pasteurization may not be the most correct term here, because the high pressure processing technique does not apply heat, just isostatic pressure transmitted by water (it's like putting the bottles of juice in the bottom of the ocean). That big isostatic pressure is able to kill the microbes, but being a non-thermal process it respects the ingredient, the flavors, the nutrients and vitamins etc

• fpurroy
        • 11/22/2011 9:56 AM

In reply to: fpurroy

Perhaps it could be said simply "high pressure processing" rather than "high pressure pasteurization"

• jlo1679
      • 11/28/2011 7:20 AM

In reply to: dodger42

High Pressure Processing (HPP) exerts enough pressure by surrounding the product in a water bath environment, to inactivate microorganisms yet cause little or no change in the structure and nutritional attributes of the product.
      High pressure pasteurization is often interchanged for 'processing', since they both eliminate microbial growth. But 'processing' is much more appropriate since no heat is involved and the end result of the product would not be the same if it were pasteurized.

• OMGWTFMichael
    • 11/10/2011 10:16 AM

This seems like a pretty legit idea! :) stocked to see how it will t urn out.

• vanillamochamama
    • 11/10/2011 10:20 AM

Yum!! Will it be made by baristas or offered in the case pre-packaged? Either way, looking forward to trying it!

• roseannemossey
    • 11/10/2011 10:24 AM

Thank you so much Starbucks for truly caring about your customers, I am thrilled with this announcement today. And looking so forward to all the pure health benfits of raw fruits and vegetables. Starbucks the company that cares about health and wellness is where everything begins.

• roseannemossey
    • 11/10/2011 10:25 AM

• liachristian
    • 11/10/2011 10:25 AM

Another lovely way to start the day

• Atudose
    • 11/10/2011 10:29 AM

Great start! Please add more vegan-gluten free items to your cafe options. Cashews are great and all but a wrap or something would be nice!

• Akaaliza
    • 11/10/2011 10:31 AM

I really hope this is kosher. Sounds like it should be if it's really just fresh fruit and veggies, but you never know. I hope it is!

• archena
    • 11/10/2011 10:42 AM

Thank you Starbucks! Need some more vegan-gluten-free items on your menu.

• jessicabarcelos
    • 11/10/2011 10:54 AM

This sounds like an amazing idea! My only hope is that it is truly healthy and not over-priced.

• sasharintha
    • 11/10/2011 11:10 AM

Yay juice!
    And while it's a bit off topic, I agree with others that Gluten Free offerings should be available. Maybe you guys can acquire some fabulous GF bakery soon?! :) If you guys had GF foods aside from your fruit cups, you couldn't peel me away from your stores...I mean, amazing coffee, fabulous juice, AND GF food? Do it, and you will officially be my favorite place in the world.

• QUEENBEE04
    • 11/10/2011 11:35 AM

This just made my day!

• 100windows
    • 11/10/2011 11:39 AM

is this going to replace ***** in our stores?

• VikingGurl
      • 11/10/2011 3:37 PM

In reply to: 100windows

Great point since the back of the bar has so much unused space to begin with. For a company that tries to be "green" my initial reaction to this acquisition begs the question of what it will do to increase Starbucks Coffee's carbon footprint by means of new electrical equipment to store the fruit and veg, the equipment to produce juice drinks, the additional deliveries of produce and the purchase of produce out of season from other countries.

• interpol84
    • 11/10/2011 12:16 PM

I think it's another step in the right direction. Now how about charging for extra, extra caramel on those caramel frappuccinos? Maybe it will discourage customers from mindlessly consuming so much sugar and fat that is contribuing to America's alarming obesity epidemic.

• marcusantebi
    • 11/10/2011 12:32 PM

I own an emerging popular brand in new York called the juice press. Mr Schultz came to my stores on more than one occasion. I believe that Starbucks vision is correct by entering into the juice market. Naysayers may not pick on the details of execution as they often do but the point is more people will drink juice and avoid processed foods. So that's a good thing. Instead I'd an ATM , pharmacy, or Starbucks on every corner there. Is may be a fresh juice bar. This is a step in the right direction.

• jaxx99
    • 11/10/2011 12:34 PM

Hope it's great.

I also hope I'm not waiting for cracking, peeling, pressing, squeezing and HPP'ing to get to my coffee.

As it is, get stuck behind a few blended frappachinos... bam, off schedule.

• marcusantebi
    • 11/10/2011 12:37 PM

Anything or process that destroys harmful bacteria is also likely to destroy the nutrients and enzymes. Raw juice is simply untreated and in its original untreated form. I hope Starbucks will focus in on using organic produce and free ripened fruit. The point should not do this cheaper and scale able but simply do it right

• eirisalplir
      • 11/10/2011 1:24 PM

In reply to: marcusantebi

Scientificly proved that your comment is not true. Chemistry with the ICTechnology developed since the end of the past century, prove that you're bad informated.

• fpurroy
      • 11/22/2011 9:53 AM

In reply to: marcusantebi

Science proves in this case that high isostatic pressure leaves nutrients untouched, as it is not able to break the covalent bonds between those molecules. But instead, it is able to disrupt the function of the membranes of the microorganisms, consequently they die...

• groncala
    • 11/10/2011 12:52 PM

Can't wait for those Juice Bars to open!!!

• brunette427
    • 11/10/2011 1:19 PM

I can't wait! I was wanting fresh squeezed juice but nowhere usually does it.

• brunette427
    • 11/10/2011 1:22 PM

@Atudose I agree, more vegan options, including a wrap, would be great!

• eirisalplir
    • 11/10/2011 1:28 PM

Great strategy and Starbucks will perform the ICT & standards in its new acquisition, and certainly the ROI is according with the Starbucks financial strategy.

• VikingGurl
    • 11/10/2011 1:47 PM

I love* how Starbucks Coffee continually tries to be something they're not. Let's see if I remember some of the more interesting attempts at diversification. In store sales of home goods and decor. Joe Magazine. Chantico - the liquid chocolate drink, yum*. Producing great* music and movies. Flavored coffee - something I personally heard Howard Schultz say the Starbucks Coffee brand would never do. Mr. Schultz, this is not innovation nor is it original. Please refocus on the CORE = coffee.
    *not

• zawlinnaung
    • 11/10/2011 2:45 PM

wide range.

• abtre12
    • 11/10/2011 3:09 PM

I am excited. I have been juicing for about a month and I miss going to Starbucks. I will be glad to still enjoy the atmosphere and have a healthy juice alternative to the coffee drinks that I have on rare occasions now. I believe this is a great move!

• VikingGurl
    • 11/10/2011 3:27 PM

By the way, how is Clover doing these days? How many stores is that machine in now? That, my fellow coffee fans, is something to get excited about. But it would appear Starbucks Coffee put this innovative coffee brewing experience on the back shelf which is unfortunate since it encapsulates the total coffee experience.

• cathyecalhoun
    • 11/10/2011 4:19 PM

I hope for single serve size as the juice offerings at my starbucks are 2 servings and I feel I need to save 1/2 for the next day!

• Babedingyo
    • 11/10/2011 5:05 PM

I understand. That's a good idea. But pay close attention. These is already a similar juice store, smoothie king in the world-market. Silence must not always be read as consent. The fundamentals are the most important..!

• cindykaypoe
    • 11/10/2011 10:58 PM

Please be careful, Starbucks. Don't dilute your brand or heritate. You are first and forever a COFFEE shop. I cannot imagine going to to Starbucks for a shot of wheat grass. I'm drinking Cafe Verona this week and it's bliss. Thank you for making wonderful coffee that can be enjoyed at home or instantly in-store.

• trewblue
    • 11/10/2011 11:04 PM

Jeff- I am a Starbucks partner and have always wished that we carried this brand actually! So when might we see this in our stores? And do you have any idea which ones we might carry?

• indybman
    • 11/10/2011 11:23 PM

I love the idea. I think ......... it's going to be good, eventhough must be started on last Summer. Keep running ......... to grab the GOAL, Jeff. Good Luck!

• ArenGT
    • 11/16/2011 4:11 AM

Dear Jeff Hansberry,
    Our company AREN Holding has companies in UAE, Ukraine, Georgia and Armenia. We want to open Starbucks coffee shops in Ukraine, Georgia and Armenia.
    So we need to know with whom we can contact and negotiate for further cooperation.

Looking forward to Your kind reply
    Thanks

• MikaylaMcGoff
    • 11/16/2011 10:38 AM

Yes! This is an excellent idea.

• Vbreyerb
    • 12/1/2011 2:57 AM

As long the fruits utilized to make the juices are from NON genetically modified seeds and definitivelly ORGANIC, the idea is scarylly grand and fantastic! Where the fruits will come from?

• kmathew
    • 12/9/2011 6:42 AM

This is an amazing Idea.
    Will this be come a part of your existing stores, or a completely different storefront?

• brookesters79
    • 4/6/2012 8:32 AM

Starbucks REALLY needs to have healthier drinks and foods available such as gluten free. There are many items out there to put in coffee drinks to make it still taste good that do not contain gluten. I do believe Hershey's chocolate syrup is gluten free but not the off brands. Also would love a non dairy milk option as well as maybe a rice or almond milk for espresso speciality drinks. It would taste so good. PLEASE CONSIDER GLUTEN FREE!

• lgranados8
    • 4/7/2012 11:38 PM

Love this idea; hope people aren't losing their jobs over it, and yes please keep it organic.

I agree with many of the above commentators requesting different types of milk like almond or rice, and additionally please consider Dairy-free, Gluten Free, Vegan baked products.

• amyhoworth
    • 4/23/2012 6:42 PM

Please open one in ManhattanBeach, CA. You'll do great business!

• asparry
    • 2/17/2013 11:23 AM

I wonder why, after putting in all the effort to use a new cold "pressure" system to ensure nutrition, do you not then use organic fruits and vegetables? It seems we're now getting all the vitamins the product can offer, but along with it, the pesticides, too. Can this be rectified?