New Clothes for You, New Jobs for USA

I’m going shopping this weekend. The weather here in Seattle seems to finally be turning a corner, which means it’s time to get some new spring clothes. But the real reason I’m hitting the racks (and why I’m telling you about it) is because from April 19-22, Banana Republic is donating 5% of purchases made (up to 500K) to the Opportunity Finance Network for the Create Jobs for USA fund, and giving me a 25% discount. So, the more I shop and save, the more they donate to a great cause!

And don’t worry, even if you’ve already made weekend plans and can’t make it to a store, you can still take part in the sale because the same deal applies to purchases made on BananaRepublic.com.

I’m inspired by their commitment to donate up to $500,000 over the four-day event. And 100% of that money will be used to provide much-needed financing to community businesses across the country dedicated to help create and sustain jobs.

Starbucks launched the Create Jobs for USA fund together with Opportunity Finance Network in November 2011 to provide an easy and convenient way for Americans to help other Americans. A $5 donation at Starbucks stores or createjobsforUSA.com gets you a red, white and blue Indivisible wristband to wear and show your support. To date we’ve raised over $7.5 million and loans are being given out to community businesses across the USA.

And thanks to you and companies like Banana Republic, we’re continuing the momentum. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to shop! To read about our success so far, visit CreateJobsforUSA.org.

• mjcotter84
    • 4/21/2012 1:48 PM

As a loyal SB customer i find this to be a bad partnership. This company has shipped all its manafacturing jobs overseas and have been in trouble for the poor working conditions its workers are kept in. This is a tiny tiny token or stunt if you will to keep American consumers while it takes away American jobs. Starbucks this is a poor poor choice and i dont think you were thinking it through. The best way to help Americans get jobs is by promoting companies that support the American workers.

• Redshy
      • 5/2/2012 1:49 AM

In reply to: mjcotter84

If you want to support American workers, start supporting LOCAL BUSINESS. Buy from locally owned businesses! Support your neighbors, and watch your community prosper.

• candzh1
      • 5/20/2012 11:18 AM

In reply to: mjcotter84

I find this comment and all the others below to be uneducated and naive. Banana Republic does manufacture clothing overseas but they do have an entire department to ensure that people in their factories are treated ethically. The United States does not have the materials or the workers necessary to create all the products that are sold here! In addition, companies like Banana Republic and others that must source overseas DO employee MANY workers here in the USA. So support those workers!

• LillaKat
    • 4/27/2012 4:26 AM

Starbucks: I'd rather get discounts for greener businesses, like:

There are others on that listlist.
    The other thing is: Banana Republic has had some sweatshop activity reported: http://www.laborrights.org/creating-a-sweatfree-world/sweatshops/news/11360
    I'm happy for to support Starbucks in its work for to make jobs--I would ask your folks in charge to reconsider doing it with Banana Republic.

• Redshy
    • 5/2/2012 1:43 AM

Why not start by supporting your partners?!? Do you know that in the state of Nevada it is state law that any employers who require a specific color or style of clothing must provide thoes uniforms to their employee at no cost?!? My daughter works for your company and is only paid $7.25, with no insurance. Nevada minum wage for employees without insurance is $8.25 an hour! You pay your employees peanuts, don't provide uniforms, and you're preaching support for American workers?! It's almost funny

• Thefiend60
      • 5/3/2012 7:53 AM
      • aileenmejias15
      • 6/8/2012 7:26 AM

In reply to: Redshy

Wow! It's almost funny, but it's really very sad that Starbucks is promoting "Jobs for USA"  and in the mean time the corporation is not making an effort to take care of their own employees the way Starbucks can. It's obvious that Starbucks and Banana Republic's corporate social responsibility campaign is just another example of public relations at work.

• deby59
    • 5/10/2012 7:09 AM

As I work in the industrial industry it hits us hard when our jobs go out of the country. I am a 53 yr old widow and can get no help or my husbands benifits tili 63. Raising my grandaughter as an industrial weaver I get upset when we are forced to support other contries. Yes I want to feed their kids but not while ours r starving. The biggest help would to educate these countries and our government. It is easy not to understand when u don't have to decide which bill to pay this wk.only buy USA

• Redshy
    • 5/11/2012 4:03 PM

Deby59,
    My heart goes out to you... You will be in my prayers! And I agree, buy American!

• MiniMe4680
    • 5/14/2012 3:47 AM

While I do support Sbux efforts in this cause, but why don't they first set the example by purchasing merchandise that is USA made instead of China. That would make a much more powerful statement and surely increase loyalty and sales. I would have no problem paying their premium prices in merchandise if it was domestically sourced.

• aileenmejias15
    • 6/8/2012 9:29 PM

The “Let’s Create Jobs for USA” partnership campaign is an oxymoron. Banana Republic is losing 30% revenue for a worthy cause. With that being said, Banana Republic can afford to sell their products at such a reduced cost because they exploit labor overseas, like many other imperial nations. Banana Republic should create jobs in the USA instead of lowering the cost of their extremely overpriced apparel for a limited time. Banana Republic's cause promotion is farce.