My Favorite Bold Coffee #5 – Caffè Verona®

Caffè Verona®, as we now know it, was first developed as a restaurant coffee. It was served at a now-defunct Seattle restaurant, Jake O’Shaughnessy’s, where it was called Jake’s Blend.

The coffee was so popular (and tasty) that eventually, it became a standard coffee in our lineup and we named it Caffè Verona® – though sometimes it was also called 80/20 Blend because the original recipe was 80 percent Yukon Blend® and 20 percent Italian Roast.

When I was hired as a barista in 1990, this was one of the first coffees I came to love. Some years ago I wrote a poem about Caffè Verona® for an internal company publication. Below is an updated version of that poem that honors my long-standing appreciation of this bold coffee.

Love Letter to Caffé Verona®

Oh how I once loved thee – Caffé Verona®! I loved you, even when they called you 80/20 Blend. I marveled at your simplicity and genius – Yukon and Italian together. You have evolved over time, it’s true. I loved thee and will cherish our memories forever.

Oh how I still love thee – Caffé Verona®! I love your complexity and balance when I wake. I love your depth and sweetness as the eve draws near. You complement my favorite sweets. You are ageless, versatile and will stand the test of time.

Oh how I will love thee – Caffé Verona®! I will love you – as espresso, drip or press. I wish to keep you for myself, but I cannot. You are the coffee of love. Others must share in the romance you possess.

How will you love thy Caffé Verona®? Will you love it – as espresso, drip or press? Will you taste its complexity and savor its sweetness? You must share it with a friend. Please love it, as I do, for many years to come

• ptpiejr@frontier.com
    • 2/1/2012 5:47 PM

Would this be considered free verse...

• Plorenz
    • 4/6/2012 9:36 PM

I love to hold a piece of dark chocolate in my mouth as I sip this dark verona...mmmmm

• Mikeys77
    • 6/16/2012 4:21 PM

Oh man - I really, really love the Verona, it's mos. def. my favorite brew from Starbucks...only thing is...and I have been paying attention trust me...that the stores around my area very, very rarely offer the Verona. Additionally, when I request a pour over I have actually been refused on more than 5 occasions with the barista explaining to me that "We do not have a "Verona" maked out at this time so you will need to choose a different coffee." Also when I do get it - they charge me alot more

• kobi001
      • 7/14/2013 7:11 AM

In reply to: Mikeys77

I could not agree more - Verona is my favorite brew and I buy bags of both regular and decaf typically brewing half caf in the morning and decaf later in the day. I travel a lot and really have trouble finding Verona at Starbucks stores because so very few actually brew it. I have asked for pour overs and had better luck than Mickeys77, but baristas don't like doing it. Unfortunately, light roasts have pushed Verona off the Veranda. Sorry Starbucks but your light roasts are simply undrinkable!

• lynettevesely
      • 7/9/2014 11:43 PM

In reply to: Mikeys77

I also lover Verona coffee rarely can find it as the featured or offered coffee in North County San Diego. Most of the Starbucks in this area don't even have it on the shelves. It is a rare but HAPPY occasion when I can walk into a Starbucks and be able to ORDER my beloved Verona. I have asked the baristas why this is not offered as much as the non-desired light brews and they say that it is supposed to be "rotated" but rarely is it offered - no one can give me a good reason. I

• sjj1879@yahoo.com
    • 8/20/2013 9:02 AM

I adore Verona! The absolute best coffee ever.

• Juljen
    • 9/19/2013 3:52 AM

My favorite Starbucks coffee! It is the best!

• RussJan
    • 9/19/2013 1:42 PM

Had my first taste of Verona today! I love it!! What is a pour over?

• King2124
    • 9/19/2013 2:11 PM

Absolutely one of my favs!!

• Senlow
    • 9/19/2013 3:39 PM

Love all the dark roasts, but especially the Verona yum!

• Rhill2nd
    • 9/21/2013 4:43 AM

I use my Verona to make iced mocha. Absolutely delicious.

• TinaMGreen
    • 9/22/2013 5:56 AM

I enjoy all seasonal drinks too Pumpkin Dice, gingerbread are my fav!

• pwashington1958
    • 9/22/2013 8:57 AM

2 cups to start each day! I'm an addict.

• RussJan
    • 9/22/2013 11:09 AM

Could someone please explain what requesting a pour over means!!!

• snuggyroo
    • 9/23/2013 6:35 AM

Now I must try it! Verona mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ~

• cnoble_93@hotmail.com
    • 9/25/2013 6:05 PM

Just bought my first bag of Verona, and tomorrow will be my first sip...there is so much anticipation and excitement ^_^

• mawstar
    • 10/18/2013 6:53 AM

I'm not usually a blend fan, but this one is good. I found it a my local Target, in whole bean, for about $7/lb. Couldn't believe it.

• gmanet22
    • 2/11/2014 8:33 PM

Cafe Verona is my favorite. Didn't know about "pour overs", when it isn't the day's bold. Since the baristas at the 7 Starbucks within 6 miles of home are so gracious and accommodating, I'm sure they'll comply if they can.

• viurka
    • 3/6/2014 4:44 AM

I love all dark coffees but Verona is my favorite

• girlmari1
    • 3/22/2014 1:02 AM

I love dark roast coffee Varona is my favorite!!!!! ; )

• uriwoogi@yahoo.com
    • 5/4/2014 6:00 AM

I am a cafe verona junky. Can't start the day without it. Mmmmm..

• mona.bagasao@gmail.com
    • 6/11/2014 5:34 PM

Hey, Aileen, thanks for your post - and poetry. Just the info I needed for my coffee master comments. Question: Yukon is a medium roast, Italian a dark - yet with only 20% Italian, Verona is considered dark. Is the Yukon blend roasted longer to make this happen? thanks to anyone who can help out on this

• lynettevesely
    • 7/9/2014 11:03 PM

I absolutelyl love Verona. I wish it were always a featured coffee when I go to one of my local starbucks but it is not sad to report. The ONLY time I can count that VERONA will be the offered coffee is on valentine day. I wish Verona would be rotated as much as the Pike Coffee which if featured a lot and not my favorite. If Verona cannot be featured then at least let Italian Roast be the 2nd choice.