My Favorite Bold Coffee #4 – Komodo Dragon Blend®

Komodo Dragon Blend® is a wonderful and unique blend of Asia/Pacific coffees. It has a powerful, big body, but the overall impression is refreshing because of its herbal nuances and soft cinnamon flavor. The aroma is earthy and intriguing.

I tasted this coffee for the first time six years ago. At that time, I tasted black pepper. I did not understand the key word “spicy” until I tried Komodo Dragon Blend®. Spicy is the sensation of tingling on the tongue – sometimes a warm spice like cinnamon or a hot spice like pepper.

I loved pairing food with this coffee. One of my favorites is a toasted bagel with cheese and basil, or a simple pizza that puts on salami and olive with a touch of black pepper.

If I am looking for a sweet food pairing, I recommend a coffee press of Komodo Dragon Blend® with a cinnamon roll or cinnamon and chocolate. In Starbucks Japan, we developed a chocolate bar that pairs well with this coffee. It is a perfect treat for a coffee break on weekday.

• buddhabob
    • 3/17/2011 12:10 PM

I would like to know what herbs and spices are in the Komono Dragon blend?

• ibamberger
      • 6/24/2014 4:19 AM

In reply to: buddhabob

• mrnelson
    • 4/14/2011 10:30 AM

Your assessment is spot-on, Haruka. Spicy herbal bliss.

• derekjuhl
    • 7/26/2011 5:37 PM

Buddhabob: There are no herbs or spices added to this coffee. References to herb or spice flavours mean tasting notes coming from the coffee beans themselves. If you're familiar with wine tasting, a couple analogies would be describing a Chardonnay as having an "apple" note, or for Cabernet Sauvignon, "cherry". These fruits are not added to the wines, but the grape varieties and winemaking process result in these flavours. I hope this information helps.

• dhkahn@gmail.com
    • 2/4/2012 12:45 PM

The Komodo Dragon Blend is the best coffee I ever had from Starbucks. I used medium grind, Chemex glass pot and filter and used one heaping tablespoon per 6oz. cup of water. There is something absolutely distinct about this blend. Ten out of ten stars.

• emporiodimaggio@gmail.com
    • 3/22/2013 11:14 AM

I'm a pro and this isn't a good coffee at all ; reviews aren't legit in the sense that starbucks rejected my first post and just leave only two bad reviews which tricks customers to think this is a good dark roast but in fact it's not a quality coffee at all and I'm not happy with this at all !!!

• docbjs
    • 4/13/2013 11:36 AM

This is by far my favorite Starbucks blend and my second favorite coffee in the world (the top is a very rare 'boutique' brand hard to find)! If Starbucks only poured Komodo Dragon and Sumatra, another fave, as their dark brews, I'd be a happy camper ;). Yet it's pretty rare for this to be the 'bold of the day' at our local stores, so it's a treat when I see that dragon logo on a Sunday morning.

• docbjs
    • 4/13/2013 11:46 AM

BTW, I'd love to taste that chocolate bar the poster mentioned developing in Japan...dark chocolate and great coffee--OH YES!

• reilley88
    • 7/23/2013 10:16 AM

I love this coffee. Sadly, my doctor has switched me to decaf. What happened to the decaf version of this coffee? Please bring it back, even if we have to order it by mail.

• kjlipps
    • 8/12/2013 12:14 PM

This is my fav for brewing Sbucks at home. It's the only dark roast I like. Not a big fan of the Sumatra, but the Komodo is just righ every time!

• deadagain
    • 9/19/2013 8:07 AM

This is my favorite blend

• betsyblue2
    • 9/19/2013 5:40 PM

Love this blend but I enjoy all of the Starbucks dark roasts for one reason or another!

• popzaz123
    • 9/23/2013 2:37 AM

Zazaford@Verizon.net
    Absolutely the best coffee blend on the entire planet, "the komodo dragon"!!!

• sherrynewell
    • 11/24/2013 11:10 AM

Please bring this wonderful blend back as a decaf too. Miss the coffee since I can only have decaf...................Please Starbucks!!!!!

• capricious.man@hotmail.com
    • 1/4/2014 11:02 PM

>&~ Komodo and Sumatran, The only beans for Me. ;)

• americandave@yahoo.com
    • 3/19/2014 5:11 PM

Very strong flavor. Great taste. This is my diesel fuel that keeps me going all day long.