Creating and sustaining thriving communities

Create Jobs for USA

Supporting thriving communities – inside our stores and in the neighborhoods where we live and work – is at the heart of our mission. And being a good neighbor has never been more important as the global economy continues to weather a painful and challenging period.

Here in the U.S., we are starting to help fuel the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship. Starbucks is teaming up with the Opportunity Finance Network® (OFN) to help create and sustain jobs through a program we are calling Create Jobs for USA, which will provide loans to underserved community businesses. The Create Jobs for USA program will be seeded with a $5 million contribution from the Starbucks Foundation.

On behalf of the Create Jobs for USA fund, Starbucks is introducing the “Indivisible” wristband in our U.S. stores and online starting Nov. 1 for donors who contribute $5 or more to OFN’s Create Jobs for USA fund. One hundred percent of donations go directly to OFN to provide grants to community development financial institutions for underserved community businesses committed to creating and sustaining jobs.

Together, we can create opportunity, inspire confidence and help build our collective economic future. To learn how you can get involved, please join us at createjobsforUSA.org.

• brockwell@rogers.com
    • 10/3/2011 6:51 AM

Dear Mr. Shultz I was so looking forward to you speaking at the Global Impact conference last week. I understand your committment to your shareholders and loyal customers, of which I am one. I am also an associate pastor of a church, where like Willow Creek we welcome ALL races and geners, gay, ******* or straight...we are all in need of a Saviour.I want to assure you and those whom protested your appearance at the conference, would be more than welcome at our church as they would at Willow.

• wlerr@aol.com
      • 10/5/2011 1:01 PM

In reply to: brockwell@rogers.com

The gov. doesn't create jobs. Feds take in $3 trillion a year, then spend $4.1. If CEO Schultz thinks the gov. doesn't have enough $, he is inexplicably in error. The gridlock he abhors is nothing new. The founders set up a scenario for gridlock; they feared powerful gov. After these two lame-brained-ideas, I now expect to see Mr. Schultz on TV hanging out on Wall Street with the indolents in sleeping bags and tents. He's making a fool of himself. Sincerely, Dan Stuthers

• sharonh2121
        • 10/8/2011 10:22 AM

In reply to: wlerr@aol.com

Well said. With this ridiculous idea, Mr Schultz proves he is NO Steve Jobs.

Jobs come from the entrepreneurial, conservative spirit as it is put into an action plan. Through an impossible yoke of unreasonable regulation at every level of commerce, our horrible Obama administration is so focused on taking away these rights that business is at a stalemate. At this point in time, it is impossible to open a "lemonade stand", much less a business that could employ 10, 15, 100, 1000 people.

• jesssssyy
        • 10/11/2011 5:50 PM

In reply to: sharonh2121

Steve Jobs actually shipped at least one cubic fuckload of jobs overseas.

• jfhbiz@yahoo.com
        • 1/9/2012 9:00 AM

In reply to: sharonh2121

Starbucks doing micro-lending to help small business couldn't hurt. It should help a little. But our right wing friends use this as another excuse to attack the President? Really? I run a small business. We are no more "regulated" or "hamstrung" now than we were under Bush.

Obama inherited the worst fiscal crisis since the 1930s. Instead of pointing at the guys who buried us in the first place, the right attacks the folks with the shovels trying to dig us out!

• WINNER424
        • 10/11/2011 6:53 PM

In reply to: wlerr@aol.com

Dear Mr. Dan Stuthers,

You say "the gov. doesn't create jobs." I am very very sorry, but you are very wrong. The US federal gov't currently has about 1.8 million workers; the gov't CREATED 1.8 million JOBS. The US federal gov't also employs about 1.4 million armed services personnel. These are also, believe it or not, JOBS that the US gov't CREATED. And this does not include the state, county, and city gov't JOBS (about 7 million?). The CCC CREATED 300K JOBS during the Great Depression. Dummy!

• jayare
        • 10/12/2011 6:27 AM

In reply to: WINNER424

You are right, the government can create jobs. The problem, though, is that those jobs do not create wealth. Those jobs require the government to take funds from the private sector to pay for them. Aside from the military, police, fire departments, et al, most of those jobs, in fact, interfere with the success of the private sector. In many instances, the regulatory agencies these people work for hinder the success of wealth creating businesses. Gov't is not the solution, it is the problem.

• strohjoe
        • 10/27/2011 9:32 AM

In reply to: WINNER424

I agree with you the government does create jobs. However the basis of this is to create jobs in the private sector. If our country ran alone on government jobs who would pay them? If a country is not producing in the private sector and paying taxes then you have no one to financially support the government. I see this as the ability to create small business and stimulate the non-government employees in the private sector to create jobs so the our unemployment rate goes down.

• tnoebel
        • 10/27/2011 11:22 AM

In reply to: wlerr@aol.com

If you had read the information on this initiative it is about NOT relying upon the Governement to create jobs. It is about job creation and business funding through the private sector.

As to the founders setting up a scenario for gridlock, you appear to not be in full grasp of the facts. The format, a democratic republic, established by the founders is not about gridlock, rather, it is about preventing unchecked, imbalanced Government intervention and subjugation of the citizenry.

• michaelofyork
    • 10/3/2011 9:28 AM

Employ me to tour Starbucks stores and fill their walls with original artworks that support the fair trade message of Starbucks. Art will come from local communities where Starbucks stores are planted. This would support artisans world wide, support the message of fair trade products, and support the business of art that is largely unsupported. It would bring a greater interest to the interiors of Starbucks stores also. See samples of art at www.mwalkerpaintings.com that are coffee centered.

• mustangal66
      • 10/3/2011 11:43 AM
      • Amandajobillybob
      • 10/3/2011 12:04 PM

In reply to: michaelofyork

I use to manage a Starbucks that we would rotate local artist's work every month. Contact your local store, you never know maybe it would be an option.

• Fairtradefaerie
      • 10/4/2011 3:53 AM
      • michaelofyork
      • 10/5/2011 2:33 PM

In reply to: michaelofyork

thanks all for the replies, i hope this is forwarded to someone who would consider it seriously within the Starbucks company, i have worked with local artist communities successfully to raise funds for non-profits and to support a 'starving artist' population with good results, it's my compassion to support the artist community within the corporate community. scratching each other's backs so to speak :)

• etedozas
      • 10/7/2011 6:53 AM

In reply to: michaelofyork

Yes! Excellent idea, michaelofyork! Since art is a form of communication, what better way to communicate Starbuck's ideologies that to promote the welfare of its local citizens, the much overlooked artisans!

• anca888
      • 10/24/2011 5:55 PM

In reply to: michaelofyork

Come to store 7480 at Flower Hill, in Gaithersburg MD. Every month we display artwork of our talented community/our customers. I'll gladly display your artwork (if it meets criteria) on the walls of my store. Anna, SM 7480

• jb1543
    • 10/3/2011 9:30 AM

I think you are doing a very noble thing. Our country might be able to compete in the global arena and actually create new jobs if your company would publicly support the FairTax legislation and help it become law. Without that I believe we are in for a long period of stagflation no matter how many wristbands you sell.

• danyel85
    • 10/3/2011 10:08 AM

how do you apply for a job on here?

• angarndt
    • 10/3/2011 10:12 AM

Dear Mr. Shultz,
    I don't know if Starbucks outsources any of its jobs off-shore, but thought this could also be a good pledge for you and other corporate leaders to make. So many large corporations are sending not just "call center" type jobs overseas, but more highly-skilled jobs too. Website/media jobs and IT work are now being done by contractors in places like India for pennies on the dollar. Yes—we need to create jobs here immediately; but we also need to stop the bleeding of them offshore.

• Lndagn2011
      • 10/5/2011 9:49 AM

In reply to: angarndt

I agree about not sending jobs out of the country. $5 for job creation is not how to create jobs. Companies create jobs. We need permanent jobs not donate $5 to create jobs. I'm going to cut back on going to Starbucks. I'll go back to starbucks like I use to when they get rid of this gimick. Look at Greece more than 50% of the jobs are government. that's working real well, they are going to Bankruptcy.

• InnovationNation
      • 10/5/2011 2:09 PM

In reply to: angarndt

Like many companies, Starbucks outsources IT jobs. Unfortunately 1 of the drivers of this is shortage of qualified people Stateside. How many unemployed software devs do you know? Having said that however, Starbucks also uses contract (onsite) IT personnel, and it is a shame to see Indian companies muscling out local IT vendors in that scenario. If visa regs are being adhered to, how is an Indian any cheaper than an American when the work is done here? Open up your vendor list Starbucks!

• duckydan
    • 10/3/2011 10:16 AM

Ok, what exactly does "underserved" mean? In poor areas? Does it mean minority-owned only (white struggling business-owners need not apply)?

• wlerr@aol.com
      • 10/5/2011 12:25 PM

In reply to: duckydan

First, government does nothing to create jobs. The feds take in three trillion a year, spend 4.1. CEO Schultz thinks that's not enough. The gridlock he abhors is the way our founders wanted government set up. They feared powerful government. After these two lame suggestions, I expect to see Schultz on TV hanging out with the indolents on wall street in tents and sleeping bags. Mr. Schultz is making a fool of himself.

• tom0523
        • 10/13/2011 10:57 AM

In reply to: wlerr@aol.com

You are wrong about the govt doing nothing to create jobs and stimulate the economy:
        1-The cotton gin of Eli Whitney, with interchangeable parts, was a byproduct of Whitney's gun-making, also with interchangeable parts.
        2-The Blanchard lathe was created by a govt employee to cut gunstocks, and used to revolutionize mfctrg, beginning with shoe leather cut by machine.
        3-The railroads funded their expansion with govt "gifts" of tracts of land.
        4-Interstates
        Get facts, not just assertions

• onate873
    • 10/3/2011 11:19 AM

I too would like to know if this program is solely for low income or minorities. What about middle income individuals, regardless of race, ethicity, etc., who can not get a loan. We bare a great deal of the financial burden in this great country. And I am American of Mexican descent.

• mdlevy1
    • 10/3/2011 12:31 PM

Mr. Shultz - I admit that for many years I have not been a fan of Starbucks. I am a fan of great leadership and after reading "Onward", my mind was changed about your company. I also like the stance you have taken pertinent to political contributions and thought you presented yourself well this week with Christiane Amanpour. You said what I have said for several years now, that America needs some heroes! Please keep up your good work and stay outspoken as we collectively save our country.

• reman01
    • 10/3/2011 1:39 PM

I Also think this is a great start, but please tell me these bands are made in the U.S.A-

• Coffeenrvs
      • 10/4/2011 2:17 AM

In reply to: reman01

If you go to www.createjobsforusa.org web site shown above,under a picture of the wristband it says Made in America. :)

• Lndagn2011
      • 10/5/2011 9:51 AM

In reply to: reman01

think about this. $5 donations, where are they going to send the money and track it. they will probably use up $4 on administration costs. Jobs are created by small businesses and companies. Save your money and hire someone to work around you house.

• starbucks starbucks
        • 10/5/2011 4:22 PM

In reply to: Lndagn2011

100% of your donation goes towards creating jobs. The Starbucks Foundation has made a donation to pay for the wristbands and overhead cost. For more info visit: createjobsforUSA.org.

• AnonymouseSeattle
    • 10/3/2011 2:04 PM

I wholehearted disagree with this program. It's deceiving to the public and ignores the fundamental responsibility corporate leaders have to instill their boards and excecutives and business practices, that excessive and positive quarter after quarter, year after year increasing profit margins are possible and sustainable. They are not. Address your out of control and unrealistic corporate expeactations. This is clearly a PR campaign. Don't disguise your philanthropy as job creation.

• ktmishler
      • 10/4/2011 6:48 AM

In reply to: AnonymouseSeattle

It seems that Starbucks HAS been successful quarter after quarter, even in rough economic times, and that's why they're donating $5 MILLION to get this program started. When the government fails to provide opportunities for its people, citizens have to find another way to help. The innovative minds of Mr. Schultz and his team are exactly what this country needs right now.

• nwmary
      • 10/4/2011 2:30 PM

In reply to: AnonymouseSeattle

It's unfortunate that you are too fearful to stand behind your own name when criticizing this program. All voices ARE important - so why not proudly stand behind your own voice. Mr. Shultz has an idea that is greater than what is out there right now and you can already witness his inspiration throughout these comments. Instead of doubting - why not take initiative to help out in your own unique way. I give Starbucks the benefit of the doubt and wish to god that they succeed!

• WBaikie
      • 10/4/2011 7:58 PM

In reply to: AnonymouseSeattle

Oh for Pete's sake! Starbucks is teaming up with Opportunity Finance Network to do a good thing - to help finance small business owners. What wrong with that? If we all considered offering the next guy a hand up, we'd all be better off. Well done Starbucks!

• iaalston
    • 10/3/2011 2:45 PM

Love the idea

• KPHONE
    • 10/3/2011 4:50 PM

I support the jobs idea, first question is the wristband made in the USA?

Our bankers are not lending, why do we not find another way of financing ourselves.

Thanks, Starbucks for this start.

• Goldy55
    • 10/3/2011 4:54 PM

What an American! Washington will never do it & our country is being run by 10% on the Left & 10% on the Right! It's time for the 80% to restart this Country & the 20% to get out of the way! Globilization has left us without a voice when "free trade" agreements ment to help others who now are doing well, but are now maliciously broken & our Leaders close their eyes! Vote every one in DC out on both sides when you can!

• michael@designthefuture.com
    • 10/3/2011 5:02 PM

Dear Howard,
    Will you take payments on a $5.00 contribution? I'm not being factitious. I'm unemployed and my wife and are in the red. I don't want sympathy. That is not why I mentioned our current standing. I believe that if America is working than employment will exist for everyone willing to work.

Mr. Schultz, given that I don't have any means or cash flow, how can I help you help our countrymen?

I look foreword to hearing from you,
    Michael Eaton,
    Lemon Grove, CA

• glennfw
      • 10/4/2011 11:15 AM

In reply to: michael@designthefuture.com

Michael,

Given your current state of affairs, I would be happy to contribute $5.00 on your behalf.

I believe in paying it forward, so when you have the funds, perhaps you will help someone else who will benefit from your contribution.

Give when you can.

Glenn

• starbucks starbucks
      • 10/5/2011 4:30 PM

In reply to: michael@designthefuture.com

Michael, you can help by sharing the word. We believe in the Opportunity Finance Network. They have a proven track record of helping grant money to community lenders who help communities create and sustain jobs.

• lynzzkate
    • 10/3/2011 5:05 PM

AMAZING! Thank you for making a effort to to help us all! It makes going to starbucks even more worth it!

• tekainz
    • 10/3/2011 5:10 PM

Thank you for being one of the responsible corporate members in our community. It's sad that all too many large corporations are more interested in their personal greed then they are in helping our wonderful country - the country that in many times supports them in their times of hardship - all while our elected leaders would rather argue, bicker and point fingers instead of getting off their collective duffs and taking positive action. Thank you - I cannot wait to get my wristband!

• tekainz
      • 10/3/2011 5:13 PM

In reply to: tekainz

I'm in the start-up process of a small business myself and sans the begging and cowering down I would need to do to get an SBA loan, I'm using much of my retirement funds to get up and running. I hope to someday be able to hire my own employees to do my part. Until then - thanks again for the part you're playing.

• imlefty
    • 10/3/2011 6:34 PM

Thank you Mr. Shultz for your initiative, leadership and support of our great country at this low time in its history. As a struggling small business owner I greatly admire your business model and will stand with you and no labels in support of our country and our way of life in this time of crisis. I believe that we will rise from this struggle better and stronger and more united.

• Coffeenrvs
    • 10/4/2011 2:21 AM

This makes me proud to be a Starbucks regular!

• Sjmahoney
    • 10/4/2011 5:37 AM

Great initiative. Nursing and IT certificates, training, and programs will drive change. Jemss would like to contribute through a crowd sourcing giving modeled after Kiva.

• alefko@surewest.net
    • 10/4/2011 7:31 AM

Mr. Shultz, kudos to you. I'ts the small steps that enable all of us to scale mountains. More people like you who have access to large audiences need to take action.

• bramaprasad
    • 10/4/2011 12:44 PM

Mr. Shultz:

Please confirm that the wristbands are MADE IN AMERICA. If you do, I will buy a few.

• tlwilson724
    • 10/4/2011 1:42 PM

I posted this on Morning Joe this morning right before the CEO was on to talk about this. Please tell Starbucks CEO that if he wants to create jobs then he should have his mugs made in USA again. I work for Hartstone Pottery and in the late '90 to early 2000 we made thousands of mugs for Starbucks. We are still open and would love the opportunity to make them again. It would also create jobs in our area.

• jbmillerjr
    • 10/4/2011 2:20 PM

Hi Howard. A book you may find of interest is "The Third Industrial Revolution: How Lateral Power Is Transforming Energy, the Economy, and the World"...just released 9/27. The author was on KGO radio here in SF this morning. Compelling discussion of renewable energy, job creation; and why the US Congress is structurally unable to address either challenge. Thanks for your "No Labels" leadership! Jim Miller, Palo Alto P.S. Love all the staff at your 361 S. California Ave store here in PA!!

• enigma_manus_2000@yahoo.com
    • 10/4/2011 5:17 PM

With this initiative I would love to have someone work with Amazon.com or who has an e-commerce website like them that could support to list all "Made in the USA" products on the website. Potentially have "Made in the USA" procurement personnel work appropriate vendors and expanding the website with "Made in the USA" product. Many small companies are not yet internet savvy to market their USA made products. In addition why not add products that a environmental friendly and/or easy recyclable?

• Cpd0064
    • 10/5/2011 9:48 AM

Mr Schultz,

Please explain in detail to me and to the people giving you kudo's on the $ 5.00 idea just how this is going to creating jobs. I really want to hear how this will be accomplished. This is the most rediculious idea I have ever heard.

• melclark123
    • 10/6/2011 8:05 AM

Small businesses rely on loans and lines of credit to pay for supplies and salaries, especially when profits are down; when the banks don't loan, the small business man/woman suffer which means layoffs and closures. This happens a lot to small rural, and urban communities. They are the ones who supply the most jobs, and they don't get the privilege of huge bailouts; they are on their own. They seriously need other alternatives of financing right now since the banks are stock piling their cash.

• melclark123
    • 10/6/2011 8:33 AM

I support it. Small business not big firms drives the U.S. economy by providing jobs for over half of the nation's private workforce. Figures from the SBA show that small businesses with fewer than 20 employees increased employment by 853,074 during 2001-2002.Small businesses are job creators. Small businesses represent 99.7 percent of all firms, they create more than half of the private non-farm gross domestic product, and they create 60 to 80 percent of the new jobs. They need funding to hire.

• Triczee
    • 10/6/2011 11:28 AM

I think this is remarkable how much Howard Schultz cares for this country. Schultz has been and continues to an Exceptional business leader of an American ICON that is Starbucks and built Starbucks on the foundation of being committed to SBUX partners.... so his passion for Job Creation and voicing his outrage of the political gridlock that is crippling our country is consistent with his history of caring for people's livelihood. I will be contributing to this job creation campaign

• StandWeUnitedOrg
    • 10/6/2011 9:48 PM

Excellent idea, we support wholeheartedly!

We also have a proposal to help states…visit our website http://standweunited.org/

Under our proposal you directly participate in shaping the future of this country. For more information read at http://standweunited.org/ourproposal.php

• maisiemac2
    • 10/7/2011 12:35 PM

Without knowing all the details--or why people would protest Starbuck's efforts at job creation, let me say hoorah! Any effort at job creation is great--and effort by a company that knows what is doing cannot be criticized. I used to buy coffee at the shop with the wooden plank floor boards in Pike Place 30 years ago--and look how many jobs Starbucks has created since. I love that you and OFN are supporting "under-served businesses" too. Small local business is the fuel for our future, too.

• SecondChanceAdvocate
    • 10/7/2011 6:50 PM

While I can appreciate the effort that Starbucks is doing,I can't support it.I have never been a fan of the Starbucks organization.I work with a lot of ex non violent offenders.I have always encouraged and supported their efforts in rebuilding their lives.Starbucks is one organization who will not allow these people the chance to start over by not hiring them.I am very sympathetic to the millions who are unemployed but these folks have families also..

• d6r2o2f4
    • 10/8/2011 8:01 AM

Easier said than done, but find "polio" type cures for Alzheimers, cancer, AIDS and heart disease, and then watch Medicare/Medicaid costs stabalize. Also, transistion from a military solution to an economic solution on the war on terror (particularly in Africa) and we can get the Pentagon budget stabalized.

• sharonh2121
    • 10/8/2011 10:28 AM

Jobs ARE NOT CREATED with "contributions". Jobs ARE NOT CREATED by an organization that "controls" money.

Jobs ARE CREATED in a free market economy. A free market economy runs itself (albeit successfully, as proved by the very existence of our great Constitutional United States of America "conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the concept that all men are created equal ...").................. get rid of the socialist control freaks in Washington DC, and then watch the jobs market explode

• ashish19
      • 10/10/2011 4:47 PM

In reply to: sharonh2121

In free market one gets loan from some organization..whether its a bank or family members, or investors. I believe this program is simply creating another source of such funding. I am not sure I follow your line of thinking.

• Danicro12
    • 10/8/2011 8:14 PM

So, how will the program work? Will I be solicited at the cash register by a Barrista every time I make a purchase? If so, you will lose a very, very, very profitable customer. If there's literature in your stores and a display to buy the wrist bands and I'm not solicited then I'm likely to contribute. I would bevery careful on how you implement this program.

• mfineman2
    • 10/9/2011 9:14 PM

hi.
    i have 20 years in the food and beverage industry. i am currently underemployed and wanted to get a part time to full time position with your company. was informed that i was not qualified. contacted area director to follow up. been waiting almost a year to be contacted, maybe you could help!!! i am a 5 day a week patron and gold card member.. thank you mitchell....

• ashish19
    • 10/10/2011 4:43 PM

Dear Starbucks:

I sincerely hope that those bands are MADE IN USA! And good luck in this project. I will donate $5 next time I am at your store to your efforts.

• vagabondgirl
    • 10/12/2011 1:49 AM

As a sometime barista and supervisor who wears a green apron I'm very interested and skeptical of this ironic movement. First, I find the "job creating" statements of Mr. Schultz to be interesting - how many of those hires are to compensate for the very rapid employee turn over? Why encourage people to create more jobs when your own employees have to hold down more than one job to make ends meet? Why not give us a living wage - your company had it's highest grossing year last year. We didn't

• barb7020
    • 10/13/2011 8:02 PM

Every small step helps, charity starts at home, lets take care of our own....homeless veterans, children going hungry, we need more leaders like Howard shultz and this is a start.....

• BPCHI112
    • 10/13/2011 11:55 PM

I plan on boycotting Starbucks as soon as they implement this plan and I suggest everyone esle do so also.

• johnAanderson66
    • 10/16/2011 9:16 AM

Being an individual that was unemployed for 2 years and finally finding a job (Starbucks, 2 yrs now) I have worked extremely hard and cannot get a promotion based only on the way questions are answered. It doesnt matter how great I am or how many recomendations I have. I think there is work to be done here and making sure our partners and there family are taken care of before focusing on other agendas. Creating jobs is great! What about us on the front lines that work so hard for the co.?

• mrsnissa
    • 10/19/2011 11:38 AM

In my opinion that sounds like pure greed and selfishness!! Be thankful you even have a job! Some of us are less fortunate in this harsh economical time. Worldwide greed is the number one contributing factor to the economical crisis we are presently in. I'm not sure where the $5 contributions are truthfully going to go, but the fact of the matter is that right now Mr. Shultz is the only one who has presented hope for small business owners and for low - middle class families.

• Lwhitefield
    • 10/19/2011 11:14 PM

I love this idea. I hope it suceeds and will do my part to help by telling everyone I can about it. There is a lot of blame for why unemployment is stuck at 9 percent. We can sit around and talk about or we can do something. This is a very real and positive step. Starbucks has chosen a highly regarded organization to partner with. Maybe great wealth won't be created. Who knows. In the meantime maybe someone will be able to feed their kids or pay a rent. Good for you Starbucks!

• nccowley
    • 10/22/2011 12:36 PM

This is a cool idea - just wondering where the money paid back by small businesses who obtain a loan through this program goes... I assume it will be reinvested back into other businesses.

• jeffreydsmith
    • 10/25/2011 11:38 AM

I certainly like this better than a mandatory (tax-funded) program of this sort.

I see it as a charity, since Starbucks customers are being asked to donate to a pool of start-up capital for proprietors/shareholders who are presumably members of disadvantaged communities (racial minorities, people living in economically depressed areas).

• jeffreydsmith
    • 10/25/2011 11:39 AM

(Continued) As with any investment, the potential effectiveness of this program has entirely to do with whether $5 invested is correctly judged able (in the majority of cases) to create more than $5 of wealth (stream of future profits). Otherwise, it is just a wealth-transfer (and potentially, wealth-erosion) program. But it does have PR value for Starbucks. om what I know of the owner, I believe it is honestly well-intentioned in addition to being honestly shrewd business for Starbucks.

• jeffreydsmith
    • 10/25/2011 11:40 AM

Correction to the last sentence: From what I know of the CEO and management, I believe it is honestly well-intentioned in addition to being honestly shrewd business for Starbucks.

• ellenfrances
    • 10/26/2011 6:34 PM

I'm all for creating more jobs. Here's a question. Are the wristbands people will be given when donating their $5 made in America? Also, I have noticed that many of your products are made in China. Wouldn't it create more jobs here in the U.S. if your mugs and such were American made? Every little bit helps and you would save on all those shipping fees from China.