An Opportunity to Give Students Opportunities

What are some of your most positive, memorable moments from school? A field trip, maybe, or a special in-classroom project? I loved the science projects that came with dramatic chemical reactions.

Moments like these serve an educational purpose, but also a motivational one, inspiring students to continue learning.

But moments like these also have a financial cost, one which fewer and fewer school districts are able to support. As such, public school teachers spend about $40 of their own money every month to enrich their students’ educational experience – a significant out-of-pocket expense that’s not always feasible.

In Los Angeles this month, Starbucks is offering our friends the opportunity to help address this need. In collaboration with DonorsChoose.org and sponsored by the Wasserman Foundation, nearly 200 Starbucks stores in Los Angeles will begin distributing $10 DonorsChooseLA.org gift cards on January 23. With a gift card in-hand, you have the opportunity to support projects focused on music and the arts, civics or math in specific classrooms across L.A. The choice is yours.

For those not in the L.A.-area, it’s easy to support projects in your neighborhood’s schools. Simply visit DonorsChoose.org, find a project that’s meaningful to you and support it with as little as $1.

Through our collective involvement, teachers, students and entire communities will have opportunities to thrive.

• lovingteacher
    • 1/22/2012 12:15 PM

Hello everyone,

I am a teacher in the East San Fernando Valley, and my colleagues and I are extremely grateful that Starbucks is taking part in this wonderful project! Help teachers like me out by using this gift card to help fund our projects. If you don't have a child in school, or don't know a teacher, plz, help fund my projects. When you try to redeem the code onn your gift card, search for the keywords 'Mr. Ruiz,' and look for my projects. On behalf of my students, THANK YOU!

• Pedrogirl84
    • 1/22/2012 7:11 PM

I think it is great that Starbucks is helping Los Angeles schools but the Los Angeles Unified School District encompasses such a large area. The Starbucks stores handing out donorschoose gift cards do not represent the Harbor Gateway area which is part of the City of Los Angeles. There are many children of need in this area that will not be served. I hope you will consider rectifying this situation.

• AndresQ
    • 1/22/2012 8:31 PM

Thank you Starbucks for your help in making projects come to Life! I teach in the San Fernando Valley and we need the help. If any you are not sure what projects to fund, search for Quevedo at Vena. My kids would be very great full, especially me. Thanks for the support.

• mb6821
    • 1/23/2012 6:58 AM

unfortunately, my starbucks ( which was in your list of participating starbucks) knew nothing of this great opportunity.

• Kimjt4
    • 1/23/2012 10:38 AM

Aww none of the Starbucks in Valencia, Newhall and San Fernando are participating in the program. The closest one participating is in Sunvalley (8349 Foothill Blvd 818-951-3616) I guess its off to sunland I go. Anything to help out my daughters school.

• shareenlisa
    • 1/23/2012 12:43 PM

Please consider my hands on Science project at:

or you can look me up by my last name Gochoel

• jaimegoodwin
    • 1/23/2012 2:37 PM

LA Starbucks are giving out donor cards. If you have one and don't know who to give it to. Please consider LAUSD, Betty Plasencia Elementary Math Science Magnet, Ms. Vela, Save the Bees Project! She is a wonderful teacher and cares so much about the students and the community. Don't let the cards go to waste!

• jaimegoodwin
    • 1/23/2012 2:38 PM

Starbucks at Lucy's laudromat on Alvarado and Sunset (includes a Subway inside) is giving out Donor cards...

• Laralevy
    • 1/25/2012 10:59 AM

You can find a list of participating locations here: http://help.donorschoose.org/app/answers/detail/a_id/388/~/which-starbucks-stores-in-los-angeles-will-distribute-gift-cards%3F