A Cup of Low-Cal Goodness

You may already know that coffee and tea are naturally low in calories. In fact, a Grande brewed coffee (16 fl oz) has only about 5 calories and a Grande brewed tea has 0 calories, so both are good choices for those seeking a delicious, low-cal pick-me-up.

If you like a little added sweetness, here are some of my favorite customizations. (All nutritional info per Grande 16 fl oz size.)

• Iced Coffee with 1 packet of sugar – 25 calories, 0g fat, 6g sugar, 0g protein.
  • Iced Coffee with Milk made “skinny” with one serving of sugar-free sweetener* and a splash (say 2 fl oz) of nonfat milk – 25 calories, 0g fat, 3g sugar, 2g protein.
  • Tazo® Shaken Iced Passion Tea made “skinny” with one serving of sugar-free sweetener* – 0 calories, 0g fat, 0g sugar, 0g protein.
  • Tazo® Awake™ Tea Latte made “skinny” with one serving of sugar-free sweetener* – 80 calories, 0g fat, 11g sugar (from milk), 8g protein.

*This could be a packet of Sweet’N Low®, Splenda®, Equal® or a few pumps of one of our sugar-free syrups.

Knowing all this, treating yourself to a delicious cup of coffee or tea has never felt so good!

• gardenstatefan
    • 9/14/2010 6:57 AM

I love the idea of lowering the calories, but not with the artificial sweeteners mentioned here. Any chance SB is thinking about using a Stevia-based product like Truvia? While we're at it, how about some gluten free options for breakfast/snacks? That would be awesome, as well as good business, considering there are so many people who are trying to avoid allergens & artificial ingredients.

• cherryObebe
    • 10/3/2010 11:44 AM

I would also LOVE a Stevia-based product!

• bmariee
    • 10/7/2010 4:59 PM

Until Starbucks starts carrying stevia based products, you could always bring your own stevia in the raw or truvia packet... I'm sure they wouldn't mind putting it in for you or you could always tell them you are going to put it in the drink yourself. :-)

• admin admin
    • 10/12/2010 10:47 AM

judygd2001, we’ve deleted comments that include email addresses and other contact information to protect your privacy.

• grace.ward
    • 11/3/2010 6:52 AM

On the livestrong calorie website it shows a Venti Sugar Free Vanilla Soy Latte has 220 calories. I want to switch my drink choice now as I am on a calorie restricted diet and do not want to remove Starbucks from my program. How many calories would be in a Venti Iced Coffee with Sugar Free Vanilla & Soy - not an Iced Latte - so less Soy, correct? Please advise....

• cmf928
    • 11/6/2010 10:56 PM

Can you please give me a nutrition break down for my 2 favorite drinks??: Venti Iced Americano with 2 Cream & 2 Sweet & low? My other would be Venti Chai Latte, non fat, no water. Thank you! =)

• admin admin
    • 11/10/2010 12:53 PM

Hi grace.ward, adding sugar free vanilla to a beverage will not add any calories since a sugar free syrup is non-nutritive. A venti iced coffee with sugar free vanilla and soy will be 180 calories. Hope this helps!

• krae13937
    • 11/17/2010 9:33 AM

I am a Starbucks newbie as I don't drink coffee, oh oh :) I love chai latte, but I am a diabetic. I just saw this article about the skinny versions. Is this available with chai latte also or just the Awake tea?

• admin admin
    • 11/17/2010 11:02 AM

Hi cmf928, unfortunately we’re unable to evaluate your drinks because of they're highly customized without an exact recipe. You'll be able to find nutrition on starbucks.com that will be close to this drink. For the chai beverage, I recommend looking at our standard Tazo® Chai Tea Latte nutrition information on our website. Adding water will decrease the the total calories because there will be less chai and milk in the beverage overall.

• mindy80015
    • 12/25/2010 5:14 AM

I agree with the other posters - I wish SB would offer Stevia as an option in their coffees. I refuse to use artificial sweeteners - hate the taste and health risks of the artificial sweeteners.

• alliedearest
    • 1/29/2011 4:03 PM

Hello! I'm a Pike roast + soy for creamer fanatic, but for my late-night working, I usually drink decaf Americanos with a little soy. I'm trying to cut down on my calories-- can you suggest decaf hot coffee drinks that will be less than 150 calories?

• missbeba
    • 2/1/2011 10:05 AM

does nayone know how many calories are in a packet of honey?

• Ashlytry
    • 5/21/2011 8:55 AM

How do I make the lowest calorie mocha frap?? Is there any other way besides using non fat milk without whip *****?

• sherylarnes
    • 5/25/2011 12:01 AM

I would be thrilled to have Stevia has a sweetener option at my favorite Starbucks. There's a product by Sweet Leaf called Vanilla Stevia Creme that could sub in and make a fabulous Frappucinno! They also have a hazelnut flavoring. ;-D

• CheriePie
    • 1/19/2012 4:01 PM

I'd love to see you guys take some of the sugar out of your milk options too. At home, I use unsweetened soy and/or unsweetened almond milk, yet both the non-fat and soy milk options at Starbucks have added sugar. Please consider some unsweetened milk options for those of us who are trying to remove as much sugar as possible from our diets. Thanks!

• jpkotouch
    • 3/15/2012 5:35 AM

I am wondering about the Chai mix. I drink a skinny, Vanilla chai latte but the girl at Starbucks said that there is sugar in the Chai mixture itself. Could you give me some nutritional information on the Chai itself? I hope it's good news because I am seriously addicted but in a serious weight loss program right now. Thanks!

• daztd98
    • 4/6/2012 6:47 AM

I would love to see Stevia as an option for a sugar to add to Starbucks wonderful drinks. Sometimes I stop at a Starbucks without my sugar in hand. I would gladly pay 10-20 cents more just to have Stevia available as an option. Thanks!!

• Colin456
    • 5/1/2012 7:25 PM

Why can't you simply make a low carb ice coffee with 2 or 3 carbs. d.d. does. I would really like a vanilla ice coffee with spenda at 2 or 3 carbs everyday of my life. Atkins dieters need options too. Please help us out.

• brelee1963@yahoo.com
      • 1/27/2014 10:04 PM

In reply to: Colin456

Yea Colin I agree, I'm an Atkins low carber too and I love Starbucks so I've been doing without my Starbucks for a month now :*( So yesterday I bought ground Starbucks espresso, I brew a pot, let it cool then fill an ice tray full and put the rest I the fridge.. I buy sugar free caramel coffee flavor from Walmart. I can now make homemade ice coffee, by using the coffee ice cubes it will not water down, I add the caramel flavor, heavy cream or half n half...only 1 carb

• Colin456
    • 5/1/2012 7:28 PM

Forget to mention that heavy Cream has no carbs and can be used instead of half and half cream or milk. Thanks

• godchick
    • 6/14/2012 6:40 AM

Just FYI, for everyone that thinks Truvia is a healthier option than Splenda, Equal, etc. It's NOT. It's another bill of goods we've been sold just like "corn sugar". Read up on it, but don't read anything produced by Cargill as they're the manufacturers of it. Pure stevia is the only healthy non-calorie sugar alternative. Would LOVE to see gluten-free options as well!

• Todricsteven@gmail.com
    • 4/16/2013 11:51 PM

My SB told me they cannot make an Iced Decaf Coffee. They substituted an Iced Americana and told me it was the "same thing". When I got home, I looked at the website to ensure it was Decaf .... It says that it has 225 mg. is there even an Iced Decaf Americana option? It is important that I do not have any caffeine. Would you suggest how I should order?

• bookmommy
    • 7/2/2013 7:36 AM

I would love coconut milk as a milk substitute!
    Also erythritol, xylitol or stevia as a sugar sub, NOT splenda or equal!

• wclarkr@gmail.com
    • 7/2/2014 12:33 PM

How many calories does a Grande Pike coffee with 2 % milk have?