5 Easy Resolutions to Tackle in 2012

We do it every year. We come up with a lengthy list of New Years resolutions that will transform our lives! We swear to finally use that gym membership, lose 10 pounds, pay off our credit cards and bulk up our savings account, all while keeping the house spotless and learning to speak Chinese. Sound familiar?

In the middle of all that, it can be easy to miss those smaller goals that, easy as they are to carry out, come with exponential benefits. This year, feel free to take it easy and still make a difference. Here are five ways:

1. Invest in a reusable coffee mug.  Disposable coffee cups may be convenient, but skipping them helps keep our forests intact. Use a reusable mug – either your own or a ceramic or glass mug in the store - instead of a disposable cup with a paper sleeve once a day for a year, and you could prevent over 16 pounds of waste and 49 pounds of CO2 emissions.    Plus, we’ll give you 10 cents off your beverage every time you bring your own tumbler.  To date, over 48,000 people have pledged to skip disposable, a promise that would save 36 trees per day, or about 18 acres per year.

2. Be a change maker in your community. You might join a group tackling home repairs for families in need, help elementary students improve their reading skills or spend an afternoon cleaning trails and streams in your town’s greenbelt. Volunteer opportunities are endless and one act of kindness can inspire even more positive change. Browse community service projects in your area.

3. Help create jobs. 2011 ended in an upswing for the U.S. economy, with just about 8.5% of the labor force out of work, down from roughly 9.5% in the beginning of the year. That’s good news, but we’ve still got some climbing to do, and you can help.

With the help of Opportunity Finance Network, Create Jobs for U.S.A. launched in November to create and sustain jobs in underserved communities. The program provides financing for community centers, small businesses and housing projects, and is seeded with a $5 million contribution from the Starbucks Foundation. Your donation can help keep the ball rolling. A gift of just five dollars rewards you with a stoic red, white and blue “Indivisible” wristband to spread the word. Give now.

4. Eat breakfast every day. By now, most Americans – 93%, in fact – believe that breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. Even so, less than half of us make it a daily habit, the International Food Information Council found in 2009.

But if we did, we would improve our performance at work and school and have more energy for exercise. Of course, the healthier the menu the better, like a smoothie made with low-fat yogurt, a hearty bowl of oatmeal or a protein-packed breakfast wrap from Starbucks. We can do this.

5. Reconnect with an old friend over coffee. You’ve been saying that you should get together with so-and-so for ages, but there’s always so much to do! Happiness happens in the moments, so enough with the excuses. Set up that coffee date with the person you miss terribly but never have the time to connect with. You know they’d love to see you, and honestly, we would too.

What should our resolutions be? Leave a comment below, or tell us at My Starbucks Idea. Here’s to another year of meaningful change!

• mjallington
    • 1/4/2012 5:08 PM

all inspiring and practical ideas....thanks:)

• MissSheila
    • 1/4/2012 5:08 PM

I love you guys' oatmeal. My mom used to make oatmeal for me every morning before school. As an adult, however, I just stopped eating it for some reason. But now, when I get my coffee from Starbucks, I try to always order a bowl of oatmeal, as well, with nuts and brown sugar. Thank you so much for adding it to the menu, because I can already feel that I'm much healthier than what I was before.

• serenarosewhite
    • 1/4/2012 5:25 PM

I think Starbucks' New Year's Resolution should be to start selling more gluten free products! It's extremely difficult for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance (like myself) to find something that is safe to eat at Starbucks. I have seen other small coffee chains that sell prepackaged gluten free goodies like cookies and cake bars. I would love it if Starbucks did the same!

• writemusic
      • 1/4/2012 5:54 PM

In reply to: serenarosewhite

Ditto!!!! There used to be gluten-free cookies that were fantastic but they didn't seem to last long. They may not be the top selling item but they make a world of difference to me and other Celiacs!

(PS - love that apples/cheese/nuts/etc. snack box that has the crackers in a separate package so I can avoid them with ease!)

• heyd2525
      • 5/17/2012 3:54 PM

In reply to: serenarosewhite

EXACTLY!! My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and it would be great to be able to get her a treat at Starbucks, but currently there is nothing they can offer. GLUTEN FREE MENU would be great!

• hmschwindt
      • 5/30/2012 8:27 AM

In reply to: serenarosewhite

I so agree with this as well. MORE GLUTEN FREE PLEASE!
      The Starbucks by us 2 years ago had a wonderful GF Almond cake that was wrapped so no cross contamination.
      We also loved it when they had the packs of Lucy's cookies. I and my 3yo
      son are GF. I love Starbucks, I just wish they had some food that would
      love us back.

• sunwrshiper
    • 1/4/2012 5:26 PM

I love your oatmeal but was kinda surprised the nutritional information isn't on your website.

• philly53
    • 1/4/2012 6:20 PM

I eat breakfast every morning and I do charity work in my community. I make baby items for the local hospitals!

• larryhoward
    • 1/4/2012 6:39 PM

I like you comments and ideas. I'm going to use the re usable mug one tomorrow. Your iconic paper cups are hard to give up though. I even bought the ornaments that look like them. Happy New Year Starbucks!

• Barbiedollz66
    • 1/4/2012 6:48 PM

I love all 5 tips, especially # 5. I like to power walk to my nearby Starbucks, either alone, to meet up with a friend, or with my dad. It's one of my favorite things to do. :)

• LeilaHorsey
    • 1/4/2012 9:19 PM

In the UK you always get a ceramic mug if you are sitting in- why doesn't this happen in the US?

• McAdele
    • 1/4/2012 10:13 PM

Good resolutions! Most of them I'm already working on.

I like the metal commuter mugs, but can never find them in 12 oz - tall - only in 16 oz. I've been watching for awhile.

• starbucks starbucks
      • 1/6/2012 10:31 AM

In reply to: McAdele

Thanks for your comment, McAdele! We've alerted the Merchandise team of your request, but you should also post your idea on My Starbucks Idea: http://mystarbucksidea.force.com/apex/ideahome The more people agree with you and vote for it, the quicker we will be able to put it into action!!

• starbucks starbucks
      • 1/6/2012 3:26 PM

In reply to: McAdele

McAdele, great news! It turns out we're launching a 12oz stainless steel tumblr that will be available in the larger Starbucks locations in your neighborhood on Tuesday! It's a slick blue color retailing for $16.95. Your wait is over...

• MAB3076
    • 1/5/2012 1:17 PM

I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to soy. Any idea when lactose-free milk will be on the agenda for those wonderful vanilla lattes? Hurry, PLEASE!!!!

• 135iUSN
    • 4/30/2012 2:29 PM

I vote for gluten free !!! pls

• freshencounter
    • 10/26/2013 10:26 AM

Adding gluten-free (#glutenfree) baked goods by 2014 would still make you late in the game when you consider options in Marin County CA, Seattle WA, SF CA (gluten free fried chicken) and even Gaitherburg MD.
    Bring it on!! :0) We're so, so, ready for Gluten Free muffins and cakes in SF and Oakland at your stores. :-)